Thursday, January 30, 2020

The New New Orleans Traditional Jazz



(From Kristi:)
     Ray Benson is at it again and won’t quit teasing me with that blissful tune, “Miles and Miles of Texas”.   We’ve crossed that border again from Louisiana to Texas.  Steve is snoring softly in the reclined passenger seat as I drive, making me happy because he is so comfortable in the safety of my skills.   I don’t ever sleep, no matter who may be driving.   Since infancy I can remember this.  I’ve always been keenly aware of my position as a passenger in a car.  I always feel I’m encased in a fragile metal bullet hurtling through space in search of a target.  But a few hours later the target was arrived at gently and we’re safely in Terrell, Texas for the night, headed for Tacoma in a few days.  Texas roads are wide and comfortably constructed with no sharp curves, steep mountains, narrow or shoulder-less passages, and traffic moves at a good pace. 
     Steve and I had precious little luck finding folks at Folk Alliance who were from our neighborhood.  The O.G.’s (current slang for old guys) we’ve known for so many years were not to be found, but we did run into a couple of youngsters from Tacoma.  The first was Forrest Beutel, a member of the long-standing bluegrass group, Barleywine Revue.   We had the pleasure of hosting him in our Private Guerrilla Showcase in our hotel room.   I recall the night he announced that he was quitting his day job to be a full-time professional musician.   That was while he was performing with the band at the Swiss Tavern in Tacoma about five years ago during one of their gigs.  He has been at it since then, playing as a single, a trio, and with the full five-piece band, at gigs all over the Puget Sound and even for a while in New Orleans.   Forrest has toughed it out as a banjo  player and singer, doing a steady stream of gigs in bars, busking, and private parties, and just recently took a job at Western State Hospital as a music therapist.  We felt the intimacy of his warm and robust musical presence belting out traditional-sounding original Americana in our hotel room.  Passers-by drifted in to listen to his energetic half hour of music.

     Then I happened into another young-ish Tacoma native, Jon Ramm, who was not a participant at Folk Alliance International.   He was performing with a band to a packed house at Maison on the Monday after the Convention in the French Quarter.  This was after I had begun to notice what was seemingly a renaissance of traditional New Orleans jazz bands.  I had seen two of them at the conference, and one in front of Walgreens on Canal Street.  What surprised me is that they’re a third generation of young people playing this music, much of which is around a hundred years old.  The first of the bands I saw was backing Maria Muldaur and she seemed as amazed at this phenomenon as was I.  Maria Muldaur was among those in the second generation, and she is far from young now.  I know of several people who came to New Orleans around fifteen years ago to experience the legacy of jazz and found none of it.  They did see plenty of good music played on the streets, but traditional New Orleans jazz was then nowhere to be found.  Jon tells me there are now about fifteen crack professional bands playing these tunes on horns, drums and banjo, with as much gusto and heart as they were first played in the early twentieth century.  I had the pleasure of seeing five different traditional jazz bands in varied locations; two in the hotel where the convention was being held, one on Canal street in front of a drugstore, and two more in bars.  By the standards of today’s popular musical lexicon these songs are by and large unknown.  There is a repertoire of songs known to this tight clique of players, which are complicated, sophisticated arrangements with multiple parts that include stops, harmonized horn slides, and harmonic hooks more, in between extended solo leads for each instrumentalist.  And in the cases of each band I saw expertise and passion rivaling the playing of those mostly dead guys who originated the music.  There’s no big money in playing this music.  And it's not like the baton is passed down from generation to generation of native musicians from New Orleans.  These young players are from all over the country.  The tradition of New Orleans is to be paid from tips for live music in bars and on the streets.  So how did this new revival happen?   Some speculate that it may have had something to do with Hurricane Katrina, when musicians who were spotlighted from a nation of sympathetic music-lovers, found themselves the center of attention by folks who wanted to associate New Orleans with traditional jazz.  In fact, encouraged by the public on social media, they set out to rescue and revive the remaining old guys who were victims of the hurricane, and to get them playing their traditional jazz again.  But I don’t know if that answers the question of how exactly this renaissance happened with the latest generation.   I haven’t figured it out but it’s some kind of happy miracle as far as I can see.  I only know that what I saw was a joy to behold.  So I stayed an extra day in town and got an interview with Jon to answer a few of my questions about his personal experience with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment