Monday, February 17, 2020

Interview with Jon Ramm, A Professional New Orleans Traditional Jazz Trombonist By Kristi Nebel




I chose to interview Jon Ramm because he’s a local Tacoma person who moved to New Orleans, having graduated from Stadium High School and performed in the well-known jazz band there.   Back then he went by the name of Jon Ramm-Gramenz.  I had the pleasure of watching him play trombone with a crack band in a packed house on Frenchman Street in the heart of the French Quarter in New Orleans.   He’s making his way along with others in this elite clique of traditional New Orleans jazz players who are good enough to earn a living from tips in the bars in the city.  It should be noted that the songs these players know have been around a hundred years or more and are not in the popular lexicon of reference for people of their generation.  By today’s standards they’re obscure.  I found the complexity and sophistication of the arrangements interesting as they relate to the dedication and time needed to learn them given their obvious unfamiliarity to most people.  I got curious because for a long time traditional New Orleans Jazz was “OG” music, for and by old guys.  And by now most of the old guys have died off.  I know of some people from Tacoma who came to New Orleans to experience traditional jazz and never heard it.  This was about thirteen years ago. So I wanted to hear the perspective from a newer generation of players reviving its popularity in this city of its source.  They’re the newest “comeback kids” for this music.
Question: How did you decide to become a musician?
I had a small music scholarship to go to Lewis and Clark College in Portland but I only intended on minoring in music.  I wanted to keep playing but certainly didn’t think that I’d begin playing professionally.  I started studying with this drummer by the name of Alan Jones.  I was having weekly lessons with him.  Then one day I said, “I think I’m ready.  I want to play professionally.  I want to be a professional musician.”  And he said, “You’re dumb.  No, you don’t want to do that.  I’m going to ask you next week and we’ll see what you say.”  And he kept asking me week after week and I kept saying, “Yes”, and he kept telling me I was stupid, that’s ridiculous, why would anyone do that?  And then after a month I kept saying “Yes”, and he said, “Okay, I believe you.  Now we can work on that.  Let’s do it.”  And so he started helping me learn how to be a professional musician.
What instrument was he teaching?
Well, he was just teaching me music in general.  He had a very sort of wholistic approach to play.  I wasn’t taking trombone lessons.  But we were studying transcribing Miles Davis solos, playing in a combo with other of his students.  We learned how to analyze a solo or a song, transcriptions, playing in a band, how to lead a band, all the nuts and bolts of how to be a professional musician.  I’d already learned how to play the trombone.
Was this through Lewis and Clark College?
I met him through Lewis and Clark College.  He subbed for Dan Balmer, who was the combo instructor at Lewis and Clark.  I called him up after I graduated and started studying with him because he has the Alan Jones Academy of Music and he teaches – like there’s a trumpet player in New Orleans who studied with him, a sax player who lives in New York who’s killing it right now who studied with him, so he teaches everybody.
What instruments do you play and what’s your favorite and what was your first?
I started playing the piano when I was six and then stopped.  I started trombone at ten and never really picked the piano back up again.  I have a drum set that I like to bang around with but I’m not very good and I’m very loud.  So I really just play the trombone.  I always tell people that the trombone is such a bitch of an instrument that it’s plenty of work just as a singular focus.  I don’t have any time to learn any other instruments.
How was the band teacher at Stadium High School instrumental in your interest in music?
He was great. He was young he was energetic, he was a really great band director.  Band was really fun.  All my friends were in band and it was an awesome time to hang out with my buddies and play music.
So he was somewhat pivotal in moving you toward music as a career?
YEAH, but I didn’t really start obsessively practicing seriously until later in college.  I’ve always had sort of a natural talent and I’ve been able to kind of ride that a little bit so I didn’t have to work as hard as maybe other people may have had to.  But when I really decided to start to work hard that’s when it all started to change.
Did the experience of playing in the Stadium jazz band have an impact on your interest in traditional jazz?
No, though it got me down the path of listening to and playing jazz, and because I was in the jazz band  my parents enrolled me at the Stanford jazz camp which I think is a pretty big deal.  {note: for more information on the Stanford Jazz Workshop: https://stanfordjazz.org/}  A lot of times I look back and I wonder how I really learned to play jazz.  It must have been there, and in middle school and high school.
Have you had to learn a specific repertoire to do what you do?
Yeah, for sure.
Do you think musical literacy is essential to learning it?
No, I don’t.  I think it helps.  Because I studied music theory at college level, and harmony, I have these tools I’m very lucky to have, it puts me at an advantage.  I can do a lot of things that people who are learning songs by ear, can’t.  I can transcribe solos quickly and make charts for my band-mates; I can write out a song, with the chord changes.  But you don’t necessarily need to do that to learn a song.  You can listen to a recording until you have the melody and I think that’s what a lot of people do.  But in today’s day and age you can find the sheet music for almost any song, on line.  I like to have the sheet music so if I can’t find it I’ll transcribe it from the earliest recording I can find.  And then I’ll play along with the recording.  So I still like to know the source of the material.  But some songs I just learn on the bandstand.
The songs I heard you playing last night are traditional New Orleans jazz-based.  They have stops that are so many bars in, slides that are so many bars in, and solos that are seemingly pretty improvised so I have to wonder if everybody is always on the same page counting bars to know when to hit that stop or that slide and that signature hook?
YYYes and no.  I wouldn’t say people are counting bars.  You get to the point where you just sort of know instinctively, intuitively, in the form of the song where something happens.  So, like in middle school I was counting bars.  I used to count bars.  But at some point you’re freed from it and you just sort of know where in the form of the song that bar happens.
Do you ever get frustrated with band members who are illiterate when you’re counting on everyone to be totally in the pocket?
I don’t play with a lot of people who are musically illiterate.  I’m lucky that I get to play with super-high quality musicians almost all the time.  So there aren’t that many times where I’m on the stage and thinking, “Man, we are all in different universes right now”.  It does happen.
I’m asking because I read the autobiography of Jellyroll Morton and that’s where he had a division with some of the top players in town.  He left town.
Yeah.
He wrote down his licks.
In the traditional repertoire there is a way that people in New Orleans play them.  There are little trombone parts that you kinda have to play or know where they are so you can at least sort of hint at it.  And that comes from the source recordings but also just playing enough gigs in town to know that.  You know some songs you play not at all like the source recordings and some songs you play just like the source recordings.
The source recordings are almost a hundred years old!
Well I know and you hear a black vein and we’re not; we’re playing a modern jazz vein, but with these songs that are a hundred years old.  The band you saw last night is a really unique example in New Orleans.  Like if you saw any other traditional jazz band it would be way more traditional.  And they’d probably play all the parts.  Certain people don’t hire me because I sometimes get bored playing tired old parts.
Do you feel acquainted with all the New Orleans jazz players?  And is there a sense of community there?
Yeah, there definitely is.  There are cliques.  We’re the only band I know of that are taking the music to that sort of universe.
In that vein, it seems to me there’s a kind of renaissance of traditional New Orleans jazz.  Do you think that’s part of it, to play the music like the original source?
Yeah.  I don’t really know exactly how it happened.  I think it was around thirteen years ago there was a traditional jazz revival and that’s when all the younger people started playing the music here.  But there’s a lot of young cats you can find in New York playing traditional jazz and probably in every city now.  And a lot of them are dressing the part and even playing period instruments.  Like, instead of playing trumpet they’ll play cornet like Louis Armstrong did.
How do you think that renaissance happened?
I feel like I knew at one point.  Somebody definitely told me their theory of it.  But I’m not really sure how it happened.  I just know that when I got here in 2012, everyone was playing trad.  And I had begun listening to it before I moved to New Orleans because I was obsessed with New Orleans and I liked its brass band music, soul and funk.  So when I got here I knew a couple of songs and I could just jump in and sit in with bands full of people who were my age.
Did you find there was any snobbery?
Not at that time.  It felt so welcoming.  A friend of mine, Byron Asher, was playing clarinet in a band and I went and I sat in.  I’ve always had a really good ear so even if I don’t know the song I can pretend I do.  I sound like I know the song.  And I remember after the gig talking to Byron and asking, “Do you think I could…do you guys do this full-time?”  And he said, “You’re gonna be fine.  You’re gonna be able to do this full-time with no problem.  Don’t even worry about it.”  And he was right.  Because there were a lot of young people playing trad and I formed a band pretty quickly after I arrived with some friends of mine that I no longer play with because we went our separate ways.  We were playing traditional jazz all over the world for a little while.
Tell me the name of the band you played in last night and who is the bandleader.
Aurora Nealand is the leader and “Aurora Nealand and the Royal Roses” is the band name.
Tell me about the award you won!
The Best Traditional Jazz Band is an award we won twice over the years; first in 2015 right after I joined the band.  [Then later in 2017}.  I was at the Big Easy Awards Ceremony with the drummer Paul who had been in the band since they started in 2008. 
We both thought the drummer has a lot of little lickety-split little licks that are very genre-specific and tight as can be.  What’s his name?
 His name is Paul Thibodeaux.  He’s the only one in the band who’s actually from New Orleans.
What’s the name the CD you recorded with them?
It’s called “Comeback Children”.  I’m so lucky that I get to play every week with Aurora.  I love the band so much.  [To buy: https://www.amazon.com/Comeback-Children-Aurora-Nealand-Royal/dp/B01E4HZC5C]
What would be a typical routine day for you?  Just pick one as an example.
Yesterday I woke up at eight and did a little work-out at my house.  I also like to go on a bike ride.  Then usually by ten-ish I start practicing a little routine, sometimes scales, but I start with a warm-up and then I just play free for fifteen minutes straight with no interruptions, whatever I want; picking a key or no key, all the keys or some of the keys, and I just play whatever comes into my head at whatever tempo at whatever volume.  And I just try to let it come out, ‘cause I’ve always felt like part of me was blocked from my internal musical self.  I always know that I have all this stuff here but it’s hard to get it out on the instrument sometimes.  So I want to “grease the skids” as much as I can.  Sometimes it’s just being able to put something somewhere even if it’s not the right thing, just to sort of continue the train of thought.
Do you find you have to learn new songs from sheet music now and then?
Yeah, I try and learn a couple of new songs a week.  And in doing that I try to learn to play it convincingly by myself.  Like, is this something that someone would possibly pay to see.  It’s good to know songs that other people know that I don’t know, so I like to brush up on my repertoire.   And I never really play straight up jazz gigs but I like to remind myself of all of those tunes because I learned them all once.  I still love them even though I don’t really play them.  I still love listening to straight-ahead jazz and I probably listen to more of that than anything else.
And then I’ll practice rhythmic stuff, technique stuff, scale stuff, pattern stuff, I’ll play transcriptions, the solos that I’ve jotted down.  I really like Jack Teagarden who’s the great traditional jazz trombone player from New Orleans so I’ll play his solos and try to get into his head and learn to play sort of the way he did.
Do you chase down old recordings on YouTube?
Yeah, I’ll find old stuff on YouTube or Spotify.  Here’s what I wish.  I wish that nobody could use Spotify except for musicians, because it’s such a great school to learn somebody’s music or to do research on songs but musicians don’t always have unlimited funds to go buy artists records.  Spotify’s such a troubled thing.  But it’s so great to have all those things at my fingertips.
More on Aurora Nealand and the Royal Roses:

No comments:

Post a Comment